Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Vehicle years taken differently in Canada and US

What are you buying when you buy a US vehicle?

Canadian VIN numbers and year make is taken from the body of the vehicle.

US VIN numbers and body year is taken from the frame or under carriage.

Undercarriage and frames are built usually 1 year before the bodies.

A vehicle sold in the US as a 2007 model is actually a 2006 model when registered under a Canadian system.

This is more a paper/insurance thing than it is a mechanical issue thing.

John Clark
Post a Comment
Newer Post Older Post a> Home